About Cultural Intelligence (CQ)
Cultural intelligence (CQ) is a critical part of setting yourself apart in today’s globalized world. It’s the ability to relate and work effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds and it goes beyond existing notions of cultural sensitivity and awareness. With cultural intelligence, you’ll know how to strategically use cultural differences to come up with more innovative solutions.
In culturally diverse situations, CQ predicts:
- Personal Adjustment and Adaptability
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Negotiation Effectiveness
- Trust, Idea Sharing, and Innovation
- Leadership Effectiveness
- Profitability and Cost-Savings Measures
Why is Cultural Intelligence (CQ) Important?
For most companies, educational institutions and government agencies the greatest opportunities for growth involve expanding into new markets at home and in varying degrees, abroad. Organizations with culturally intelligent staff and students are more likely to accomplish their mission in today’s multicultural, globalized world.
We live in a diverse and globally connected world which leads to encounters with culturally diverse individuals and situations. The greater your Cultural Intelligence (CQ), the more likely you will successfully adjust to the cultures you encounter and construct sustainable and effective interactions.
The Pillars of Cultural Intelligence
Cultural intelligence focuses on helping people develop four capabilities in order to relate and work effectively with people from various backgrounds.
CQ Drive: the curiosity and motivation needed to work effectively with others
CQ Knowledge: understanding cultural nuances that exist, without resorting to stereotyping
CQ Strategy: learning how to plan efficiently in light of cultural differences
CQ Action: knowing when to adapt behavior in various intercultural situations
Benefits Of CQ for Educational Institutions
- Students, faculty, and staff with high intercultural ability
- Confident interactions within diverse settings
- Increased range of career opportunities
- A diverse and inclusive campus or school environment
- Transformational study abroad programs
- Recruitment and retention of underrepresented students, faculty and staff
- Tangible and intangible financial and organizational efficiencies
Benefits Of CQ for Companies
- Success in culturally diverse markets
- Speed and efficiency when working across borders
- Effective short-term and long-term global assignments
- Becoming an employer of choice
- Profitability and cost savings
- Multicultural team cohesiveness
- Global team effectiveness
Benefits Of CQ for Individuals
- Global Citizens: CQ is the missing link between thinking globally and acting locally.
- Communities of Faith: CQ enables religious groups to respectfully engage with people from other cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Employers: CQ is the strategic link between a diverse workforce and diverse customers.
- Job Seekers: 90% of executives are looking for people who have cultural intelligence. CQ provides a competitive edge for people wanting to start or accelerate their career.
Benefits Of CQ for Government Agencies
- Enhanced communication across cultures
- Security and readiness for staff, personnel and local citizens
- Equitable opportunities for underrepresented groups
- Cost savings and organizational efficiencies
- Multicultural team effectiveness
- Instilling confidence in a global team environment
- Meeting regulatory requirements